There are a number of microwave cake recipes on the internet and, whilst not as good as a properly baked cake, they are great for a quick late-night fix!
The recipe I’ve used is one that I found on Mumsnet.
4 tbsp self-raising flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
splash of vanilla essence (optional)
1. Add dry ingredients to a large mug and mix well.
2. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour in the oil and milk and mix well.
4. Add chocolate chips and vanilla essence and mix well.
5. Put mug in the microwave and cook for 3 mins at 1000 watts (high).
- The mix will rise above the top of the mug. This is normal.
- Allow to cool and tip onto a plate if desired – this makes it easier to add cream or ice cream.
- It is possible to overcook this cake! My microwave is an 850 watt, so I put the cake in for 4 minutes and it came out quite dry.
Give it a try and let me know what you think! If you have a microwave cake recipe that you really like or that you think is better than this one, feel free to pass it along to me 🙂